sweet breakfast polenta porridge with blueberry compote (by blackmountain)
SWEET BREAKFAST POLENTA PORRIDGE WITH BLUEBERRY COMPOTE to have on a rainy morning! (makes 2 servings)
To make polenta you will need:
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 2 cups of water (but check the cooking instructions on your packet of cornmeal, you may need more or less depending on the coarseness of you cornmeal).
- pinch of salt
- 1-3 tablespoons of maple syrup (or agave) depending on your sweet tooth. i top my polenta off with extra maple & the berry compote will be slightly sweet too, so keep that in mind!
- a knob of dairy-free margarine, such as nuttelex
- a splash of non-dairy milk, 2-3 tablespoons
1. Bring water to a boil, turn it down to simmer. Add cornmeal and whisk to combine. Add pinch of salt. Cook for about 10 minutes (or as suggested by the instructions on your cornmeal packet!) whisking occasionally. You can start making your berry compote while the polenta simmers away!
2. Once you are happy with the creaminess & consistency of your polenta add maple syrup, margarine & non-dairy milk of your choice.
To make blueberry compote you will need:
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries (you can use any berry or combination of berries, fresh too)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- a heaped teaspoon of arrowroot
Combine everything in a pan over medium heat, mix & leave to simmer for 6-9 minutes, stirring occasionally until you are happy with the taste & the berries are squishy but still a bit firm.
To assemble: spoon polenta into bowls. Top with a bit of maple syrup, blueberry compote & some chopped nuts. I used almonds, but I think hazelnuts would work nicely too!